[LAU] Is there a LAU music directory?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Jun 2 09:45:24 CEST 2018

david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> writes:

> On 06/01/2018 03:47 AM, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>> Am 01.06.2018 um 10:35 schrieb david:
>>> Hmm, for me, "made on Linux" makes me expect anything but the
>>> usual commercial music. I don't think we have many musicians on the
>>> list whose obsession is to make the same music that's already on
>>> the Pop 40 lists. ;)
>>
>> I think that's a rather bold assumption.
>
> I was just basing that on the kind of music that seems to get posted
> here. Seems to mostly be synthesized instrumentals. Maybe it's just a
> shortage of Pop 40 type singing voices?

What does the 40 in Pop 40 mean?

>> To me, the reason for wanting to use Linux as the base of the music
>> production process, are completely non-music related.
>
> I use Linux and Linux applications for all of my creative processes -
> photography, art, music, fiction, poetry. I like the flexibility and
> the freedom from budget constraints. I don't support software
> monopolies like Microsoft and Adobe, and hate the Apple's "walled
> garden" and "patent lawyers on speed dial" approach. I tolerate the
> walled garden on my Android tablet because I like some of the free
> software on it (Caustic, Ensemble Composer, ArtFlow, Simplemind Free)
> and there's no Linux tablet OS.
>
> How about you?

Mental laziness.  Same reason I am a vegetarian.  Saves me from a loads
of worries and uncomfortable decisions and anguish and bad taste in
mouth that I am better without.  Of course it has helped that market
leader Microsoft has produced utter crap first with their operating
systems and then with their licenses.

Intel has managed to survive in that quagmire by creating the i386 32bit
architecture and from that fortress in the Microsoft swamp progressing
to kill the 68000 architecture, Alpha, SPARC because porting Windows
would be akin to transplanting Keith Richard's liver: you cannot imagine
it surviving outside of its niche because it's magic already that it
survived inside of its niche.

--
David Kastrup