[LAU] Some disturbing news

robertlazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 15:36:22 CEST 2018

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 2:49 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> writes:
>
> > I've just read on The Register that there are discussions between
> > GitHub and Microsoft, with a possible buy-out by Microsoft. I really
> > can't think of a worse possibility :(
>
> I can.  A buyout by Oracle.  Though Oracle tends to kill projects fast
> enough not to take everyone's enthusiasm with them and so replacements
> pop up.  Microsoft tends to just sap all joy out and eventually people
> don't know why they ever cared and are too tired to create something
> new.

First of all the whole point of media is to be speculative otherwise it
would be boring. I take this "news" with a grain of salt.

Both GitHub and Microsoft are companies with a board and the latter has
past actions that would bar most individuals after a background check in
many companies. I choose not to "trust" these guys. I do most of my open
source contributions to the Apache foundation for that reason, and use
their projects when I can. Their board does have open source DNA, has a
great security team and good project oversight imho.

An Oracle buyout would be worse though as I see it. They seem to be more
litigious at the moment. For example they have been in court for about 10
years with google over Java, trying to make API interfaces subject to
copyright and patent claims. I could go on.

Robert