[LAU] Some disturbing news

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Jun 3 01:42:26 CEST 2018

On 06/02/2018 10:00 AM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> I've just read on The Register that there are discussions between GitHub and
> Microsoft, with a possible buy-out by Microsoft. I really can't think of a
> worse possibility :(

And this matters how?

git is completely decentralized. Most git repos do already exist,
mirrored, in various places simultaneously. If you only push your
project to github.com, and mirror it nowhere else, you're doing it wrong.

2c,
robin

PS. git submodules are an issue, but their origin is also trivially
changed. Likewise the IMHO very nice github issue tracker allows to
export all data.