[LAU] Some disturbing news

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jun 3 02:17:04 CEST 2018

On Sat, Jun 02, 2018 at 07:44:39AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> The Pulse audio API was never intended to be used by applications.

Then why does it exist ? :-) The API doesn't look worse
than ALSA's user space 'plug' mess which never worked
well except in some simple cases (try stacking a few
'plugs' and keep the result stable).

BTW, Firefox seems to have gone the same way as Skype.

What I *do* find disturbing re. the way Linux seems
to be going is all those 'kits' and other stuff meant
to replace existing system functionality. Who needs
rtkit if we have limits.conf, or policykit if we have
sudo ?

And the worst of all is systemd. It was a nice idea
originally. Meanwhile there are something like 60
binaries, many of them replacing things that have
nothing at all to do with system init or service
management, and hundreds of entangled unit files
all over the place, plus 'builtin' and 'generated'
ones and what else is happening behind your back.
It has become near impossible to find out what
your system is actually up to.

A few weeks ago I installed Devuan (Debian fork
wihout systemd) on two laptops. A very refreshing
experience. Some orders of magnitude simpler. As
a user you don't notice any difference and it
start up faster than systemd. And for me, as admin
of those systems, things have become a lot more
transparent.

Ciao,

--
FA