[LAU] Some disturbing news

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Jun 3 02:32:13 CEST 2018

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 8:17 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 02, 2018 at 07:44:39AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > The Pulse audio API was never intended to be used by applications.
>
> Then why does it exist ? :-) The API doesn't look worse
> than ALSA's user space 'plug' mess which never worked
> well except in some simple cases (try stacking a few
> 'plugs' and keep the result stable).

​There's a lot to the Pulse API that doesn't overlap with ALSA at all, and
is used by Pulse-centric utility applications. Network routing, application
volume control, device switching and more.

Pulse includes an audio I/O API mostly for completeness and testing; that
doesn't mean it was intended for use by other applications (and indeed, it
was not). ​

BTW, Firefox seems to have gone the same way as Skype.

​They still have a native ALSA backend and there's even a JACK one
available.​