[LAU] Some disturbing news

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun Jun 3 14:04:17 CEST 2018

Max <abonnements at revolwear.com> writes:

> I'm surprised noone brings up Visual Code Studio in this thread, which
> is a product much more aligned with what github is about, more so then
> linkedin, nokia or skype.
> And I must say it's a pretty cool tool. Runs flawless and fast on
> Linux and has become my favourite editor.
>
> Regarding platforms: Freshmeat (what a name!), sourceforge, github: no
> service lasts forever, but I don't see a reason why to panic just
> because microsoft may take over github. And even if there is, there
> are already alternatives in place like gitlab.

"Already"?  GitLab is the only remaining Git-based development/tracking
platform system with some visibility and an Open Source "community
edition" version of the proprietary system they are running on.
Gitorious was acquired and buried by GitLab.

Names like "Kallithea" and "FusionForge" are really in the far fringe.

--
David Kastrup