[LAU] Some disturbing news

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:13:29 CEST 2018

Hey Set!

Great question.

There are reasons to use FLOSS and not agree with the ethical underpinnings.

1. Some of it is unique and provides capabilities not easily achieved on
other OS
2. I like the system itself, I am used to using it on a daily basis and
changing invokes a cost
3. I like the feeling that I am using something unique (from the POV of
most people)
4. I am largely lucky that most proprietary tools I need work well through
WINE so I can use the best of both worlds

But also there is a problem that I see in your question: if someone
disagrees with Stallman's ethics, then it means that there are no other
possible ethics.

I do support the idea of having free ofcharge and copyright free computing
systems for the public. I might not agree with the idea that corporations
are evil and that proprietary has to go, but it does not mean I disagree
with the need to have publicly available software systems.

So, the latter point is also ethics. It is simply not the extreme position
that Stallman opts for. In my article I write about free software as a
moderate philosophy:

https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=writings&t=philosophy&a=philosophy_freedoms#4_1

So, I think my usage of Linux has a philosophical component to it,
definitely.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 12:01 PM, Set Sakrecoer <public at sakrecoer.com> wrote:

> Not a bit worried :)
>
> Here are the good news:
> https://monitor.gitlab.net/dashboard/db/github-importer?orgId=1
>
> Intense thread though, made me wonder why anyone disagreeing with the
> ethics of FOSS would use FOSS in the first place? I mean, If I didn't care
> for the ethics, I could do my stuff on any OS ...
>
> Attentively,
> Set
>
> On 2 June 2018 10:00:16 CEST, Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> I've just read on The Register that there are discussions between GitHub and
>> Microsoft, with a possible buy-out by Microsoft. I really can't think of a
>> worse possibility :(

Louigi Verona
https://www.patreon.com/droning
https://louigiverona.com/