[LAU] Some disturbing news

Thorsten Wilms self at thorstenwilms.com
Mon Jun 4 13:50:45 CEST 2018

On 04.06.2018 11:41, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey Thorsten!
>
> Thank you for your comment. I have not only read Stallman, I have
> studied his writings very closely and wrote a large work on his
> philosophy which can be found here:
> https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=writings&t=philosophy&a=philosophy_freedoms

That whole thing seems to depend on a reversal. It's not 4 Freedoms
because non-free software is claimed to be unjust, but non-free software
is said to be unjust because it denies users the 4 Freedoms. Then you
continue to play down all of the associated issues. You should really
try the "less is more" approach, some time.

> "The problem starts once you do anything that encourages another person
> to use non-free software, because in doing so, they will give up the 4
> freedoms."
>
> This is not a convincing argument, because you first need to prove that
> these 4 freedoms matter. What problems are they solving?

How about the other way? What problems does _not_ having the 4 freedoms
create?

Optional:
- You may not be allowed to run the program as you wish, for any
purpose, i.e., an EULA might be in place.

Always:
- You cannot study and learn from the code.
- You cannot do even the simplest modification to adapt the program to
you needs/wishes (aside from reverse engineering methods).
- You may not just hand copies to others, or point them to freely
available sources to help them out / speed up collaboration.
- You may not join forces with the authors, e.g. by providing patches
(aside from getting hired ...)
- You cannot modify the software for others.
- You cannot fork the project.
- You cannot pick up the project after the original author went away or
perished.
- You will have a hard time working with data with no maintained,
accessible program to read it left around.

Now some may say unnecessarily burdening users with those problems is
wrong (/unjust/unethical/immoral).