[LAU] Some disturbing news

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jun 8 02:47:39 CEST 2018

On June 7, 2018 1:41:03 PM HST, Dominique Michel wrote:
> Le Tue, 5 Jun 2018 12:02:38 -0700 (PDT),
> Len Ovens a écrit :
>
> > On Tue, 5 Jun 2018, David Kastrup wrote:

[snips]

> > I would be very surprised if Microsoft feels in any way that their
> > name or reputation is a liability. Rather the opposite. Compared to
> > the huge number of people who use windows because that is what the
> > computer came with and they feel a mac is over priced and that there
> > is nothing else, the open source community doesn't even show in a
> pie
> > chart big enough to add the label. Android is huge, but only because
> > people "buy" it with the phone.
>
> Most peoples just use the same system they have at work because they
> are complete illiterate peoples which get sick when they read more
> documentation than "To launch a software you must click on the
> corresponding icon". And they know they can ask a colleague which can
> fix it in case of trouble.

Computer science et al people can sometimes be so completely different from other people that an approach or software that "works for them" is pretty much useless to anyone else. They (CS) may love diving into the technical documentation and spending 10 hours figuring out how to do something.

Ordinary people just want to do what they need to do and go on with the rest of their lives! (Computers are just glorified screwdrivers, not lives.)

Most people would rather put their energy into other things besides making unnecessary changes to how they do things. They'd rather put their energy into things like talking with their friends or playing soccer or making music. ;)

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.