[LAU] Ubuntustudio and frequency scaling

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Jun 8 17:25:08 CEST 2018

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018, Christopher Arndt wrote:

> Am 08.06.2018 um 05:27 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 23:35:17 +0200, Michael Jarosch wrote:
>>> That's the old way you did it, but you can't do that with debian and
>>> ubuntu, nowadays.
>>
>> As of what Ubuntu release it's not working anymore and what's the
>> cause that it doesn't work anymore?
>
> I'd be interested in an answer to this as well.

easiest place to look:
/lib/systemd/set-cpufreq
This is the way that ubuntu and probably debian set cpu governor today.
Notice that they do not include Performance, If Performance is wanted at
boot... the way to do that without getting errors when upgrading sw:
create another file in the same directory maybe call it performance and
use the same code, but replace all governor choices with performance. Then
create a directory:
/lib/systemd/system/ondemand.service.d
in that directory create a file performance.conf will do and put some
lines like:
------------------------8<---------------
[Service]

ExecStart=
ExecStart=/lib/systemd/performance
Assuming the file you created was also called performance. The blank
ExecStart= is important as I found out, it resets Execstart to empty
first. Doing things this way has the advantage that
/lib/systemd/system/ondemand.service already makes sure the correct kernel
modules are loaded first and updates will go smoothly.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net