[LAU] Yoshimi: strange behaviour with mod.env. for addsyn

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed Jun 13 08:43:43 CEST 2018

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:55:46 +0200 (CEST)
"Jeanette C." <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

>Hey hey,
>I just noticed a rather strange behaviour in Yoshimi, trying to set up an
>addsyn patch, using PM. I'm doing it through Yoshimi's CLI:
>osc2 is modulated by osc1, modulation type is PM.
>Modulator amplitude is set to full, mod.vsense set to no effect and modulator
>amplitude envelope is turned on.
>I tried both adjusting the envelope on oscillator 1 and modulator one. Only
>oscillator 1 works.
>The intnded env shape: no attack, from max over short decay to very low.
>I can set the attack value and decay value to max and a short decay time to a
>low sustain value, but unless I give it some attack time, the modulation
>strength doesn't reach full amplitude. Also when the sustain is any higher
>than 0, the envelope will take a time to reach that value. I can't find a
>value to adjust that, nor can I see why it would take the envelope a rather
>long/audible time to reach maximum amount. It doesn't - audibly - happen for
>the volume or filter.
>
>I'm running the latest version from git. Any help would be appreciated, given
>the one unchangeable prerequisit: it must be within the CLI.
>
>Thank you and best wishes,
>
>Jeanette

Hi Jeanny,
I stayed over in Berlin after LAC for a bit of sight-seeing and only got back
very late last night - actually about 4 hours later than expected. It seems the
train infrastructure was in meltdown :(

I've got a lot of catching up to do, but I've bookmarked this. Meanwhile can
you list the actual commands you used? Modulators can be quite 'interesting'
and it's easy to make mistakes even for us feeble GUI users :@)

TTFN,
Will

zzzZZZ