[LAU] Yoshimi and Midish issue (no notes played)

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Mon Jun 18 18:26:41 CEST 2018

Hey hey,
I have an issue - again with Yoshimi and the commandline MIDI sequencer
Midish. Yoshimi will not receive any notes from Midish, though the connection
is made, as seen by a message on the Yoshimi commandline.

Midish uses the ALSA Sequencer API, but only offers the port when it is
running.

Midish does work fine with LinuxSampler, hardware and setBfree. I don't know
which of the two, Yoshimi or Midish, does something special to prevent them
from working together.

Will, if you'd like to test it, I have seen the midish is available as a
package in Debian and Ubuntu. On Arch it is in AUR.
Here's the simplest test:
bash prompt # rmidish
[within midish]
dnew 0 "name of your keyboard under aconnect -li" ro
dnew 1 "yoshimi" wo
inew keyboard {0 0}
onew yosh {1 0}
tnew test_track
fnew test_filt
fmap {any keyboard} {any yosh}
tsetf test_filt
[play notes on your keyboard]
[stops recording]
[should play the notes back]
exit
[press enter twice, if Midish doesn't quit immediately]

Sorry, it's a long list of commands, but you should be able to copy them
verbatim, except for the alsa SEQ name of your input device.

Any idea what might be happening? I can see the connects and disconnects, but
nothing more.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------