[LAU] Yoshimi and Midish issue (no notes played)

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Tue Jun 19 20:11:20 CEST 2018

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 18:26:41 +0200 (CEST)
"Jeanette C." <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

>Hey hey,
>I have an issue - again with Yoshimi and the commandline MIDI sequencer
>Midish. Yoshimi will not receive any notes from Midish, though the connection
>is made, as seen by a message on the Yoshimi commandline.
>
>Midish uses the ALSA Sequencer API, but only offers the port when it is
>running.
>
>Midish does work fine with LinuxSampler, hardware and setBfree. I don't know
>which of the two, Yoshimi or Midish, does something special to prevent them
>from working together.
>
>Will, if you'd like to test it, I have seen the midish is available as a
>package in Debian and Ubuntu. On Arch it is in AUR.
>Here's the simplest test:
>bash prompt # rmidish
>[within midish]
>dnew 0 "name of your keyboard under aconnect -li" ro
>dnew 1 "yoshimi" wo
>inew keyboard {0 0}
>onew yosh {1 0}
>tnew test_track
>fnew test_filt
>fmap {any keyboard} {any yosh}
>tsetf test_filt
>[play notes on your keyboard]
>[stops recording]
>[should play the notes back]
>exit
>[press enter twice, if Midish doesn't quit immediately]
>
>Sorry, it's a long list of commands, but you should be able to copy them
>verbatim, except for the alsa SEQ name of your input device.
>

>Any idea what might be happening? I can see the connects and disconnects, but
>nothing more.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Jeanette

I had a go at this (for yoshimi) and can confirm the same results.
Unfortunately I don't know anything about Midish, and the only error report it
seems to give is that it can't connect to the alsa port, but doesn't say which
one - even though yoshimi reports it as connected.

Also, it doesn't seem to actually create 'test_track' anywhere that I can find,
so I don't know what that is supposed to do.

I do know yoshimi works perfectly correctly with aplaymidi and handles all MIDI
messages.

Sorry I can't give more help.

Will.

--