[LAU] [OT] Podcast recommending synth-based (pop)music

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Tue Jun 19 21:51:16 CEST 2018

Hey hey,
I know this is off-topic, but from remarks made by several members over time,
I gather that quite a few people here enjoy music beyond the mainstream.

The offerings are so generous these days that it can be very hard finding
one's own new music. So I'm looking for a podcast or youtube-show recommending
new synth-based music. So what am I looking for?

I'm looking for something focused on songs, closed units of three to ten
minutes, with or without vocals, hopefully nice independent sound design. I'm
looking for melodic and/or harmonic. So not your average modular-synth stuff
nor typically highly experimental sound art, as our community would see it -
from time to time - from Csound and similar. Neither am I looking for
no-dynamics-at-all dance music. I like that too, but it's easy to find. :)

If I were to mention artists, I
could only think of Imogen Heap and this rather obscure piece by Rod Morris,
who himself appears to be a little obscure:
youtu.be/tJr_LXxxOVI
On the long'ish side, but it has interesting sounds and a strong atmosphere.

Any recommendations? Perhaps genre names to particularly take into account? Or
other search directions/starting points? I have tried but failed so far.

Best wishes and sorry for the OT,

Jeanette

--------
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c