[LAU] Off-topic: "A look at how the Behringer Model D compares with the Minimoog"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 20 08:21:37 CEST 2018

PS: There are discussions regarding fairness. Is it fair that
Behringer provides a Model D clone? Is it fair that Moog's reissued
Model D is that expensive? Is it fair that companies get money for
providing clones of discontinued synth? Is it fair that companies
discontinue iconic synth? There are more or less no discussions
regarding possible differences of the sound quality. Those discussions
are not about weak FLOSS emulations. Again! Important parts sometimes
are real analog parts, no software at all. CV often is provided.
Btw. my Roland GR-55 not only provides samples, but also modeling. A
real sitar or a real resonator guitar sounds different to using my
electric guitars with the modeling of a sitar or resonator guitar, but
it is an option, less expensive than buying a sitar and resonator
guitar and very important to me, it requires less floor space. Some of
my music gear is unused in my kitchen, unused in my bedroom and used by
a friend a few streets away. Floor space in my music room is limited.
While I agree that virtual synth often can't compare to original synth,
they sometimes could or are they are at least good enough and sometimes
they are simply a less expensive alternative, even if they should sound
less good.