[LAU] Off-topic: "A look at how the Behringer Model D compares with the Minimoog"

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jun 20 09:56:26 CEST 2018

On 06/19/2018 08:21 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> PS: There are discussions regarding fairness. Is it fair that
> Behringer provides a Model D clone? Is it fair that Moog's reissued
> Model D is that expensive? Is it fair that companies get money for
> providing clones of discontinued synth? Is it fair that companies
> discontinue iconic synth? There are more or less no discussions
> regarding possible differences of the sound quality. Those discussions
> are not about weak FLOSS emulations. Again! Important parts sometimes
> are real analog parts, no software at all. CV often is provided.
> Btw. my Roland GR-55 not only provides samples, but also modeling. A
> real sitar or a real resonator guitar sounds different to using my
> electric guitars with the modeling of a sitar or resonator guitar, but
> it is an option, less expensive than buying a sitar and resonator
> guitar and very important to me, it requires less floor space. Some of
> my music gear is unused in my kitchen, unused in my bedroom and used by
> a friend a few streets away. Floor space in my music room is limited.
> While I agree that virtual synth often can't compare to original synth,
> they sometimes could or are they are at least good enough and sometimes
> they are simply a less expensive alternative, even if they should sound
> less good.

Sometimes I think the whole purpose of DAWs and VSTs and synths is to
make it possible for someone sitting at home with no budget to write for
whole symphony orchestras *and hear something like it* without spending
the large amount of money needed to have an orchestra actually perform a
piece.

Being such a person, I'm not complaining. ;)

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community