[LAU] Off-topic: "A look at how the Behringer Model D compares with the Minimoog"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 20 20:14:23 CEST 2018

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:56:26 -1000, david wrote:
>Sometimes I think the whole purpose of DAWs and VSTs and synths is to
>make it possible for someone sitting at home with no budget to write
>for whole symphony orchestras *and hear something like it* without
>spending the large amount of money needed to have an orchestra
>actually perform a piece.
>
>Being such a person, I'm not complaining. ;)

You also could be e.g. a keyboard who owns a house, a real Hammond
with Leslie, a real grand piano, a real Rhodes, a real D6, 20 Moogs,
Oberheims and Co. in flight cases and a Mellotron. If you need all
those sounds for a gig, would you like to transport all those real
things, excepted of the house?

Btw. I'm a disgusting bad keyboarder, while there are some instruments
unsuitable to be played by even the latest Roland guitar synth, playing
a rock organ works quite good and this in two different ways, it's
possible to play it by guitar in an organist's way or to play the organ
sound in a guitarist's kind of style.

Keep in mind, I'm a fan of real Curtis CEM based analog synth as well
as I like real non-analog iconic synth, such as the real old DX7 or
the TG33 with it's vector control. With modern emulations you can't get
all those original sounds, it at least does feel different when playing
those beasts live, compared to virtual synth, OTOH emulations become
better and better. Arturia and Nord are amazing PC/tablet PC synth
and/or stand alone hardware synth. At the moment I usually prefer
latest emulations over original synth. Not all oldish analog synth
provide the nice controls mentioned by robertlazarski. I own an Oberheim
Matrix-1000, it only provides MIDI IOs and an audio output and the only
potentiometer is to control the volume. A lot of people replaced a lot
of analog synth with a few Oberheim Matrix-1000 in the end of the 80s,
just using the factory presets, without a MIDI controller. Nowadays a
lot of those sounds are provided by soft synth, too. It's just not true
that even experimental music requires all kinds of controls. Most
important is to get a lot of basic sounds. For one or the other speical
experimental sound, it could be enough to use one or two real old
synth, but the 20 other synth could be replaced by something like the
Oberheim Matrix-1000 in the past and today a lot of those sounds could
be replaced by e.g. a Nord, not all of those sounds, but OTOH a Nord
provides sounds a Matrix-1000 doesn't provide.