[LAU] New Computer

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed May 16 17:59:46 CEST 2018

On Wed, 16 May 2018 08:09:11 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 May 2018, Will Godfrey wrote:
>
>> This is the first time I've installed devuan. Release 2 is based on debian
>> stretch, so not cutting edge. However it has rt kernel 4.9 and everything else
>> seems pretty up-to-date. The only slight disappointment is it's slower on
>> startup, but I may let be able to tweak that.
>
>Wow, you mean you shut your computer down?
>
>I didn't realize that was a thing.   ;)

Oh har-de-har.

Actually It's worse than that. The BIG SWITCH (tm) powers up an arduino
controlled sequential switcher. The keyboards are switched on first,then the
computer(configured to run when power appears). Once the switcher sees the 5V
from a USB socket it steps through and switches on all the other kit (amplifier
last). Closing down the computer means the loss of 5V tells the arduino to
switch all the gear off including the supply to the computer (amplifer first
this time). I can re-start by pressing a button on the switcher. So the
only standby power is a 10W switchmode PSU :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk