[LAU] New Computer

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Wed May 16 18:23:17 CEST 2018

Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> writes:

> Actually It's worse than that. The BIG SWITCH (tm) powers up an arduino
> controlled sequential switcher. The keyboards are switched on first,then the
> computer(configured to run when power appears). Once the switcher sees the 5V
> from a USB socket it steps through and switches on all the other kit (amplifier
> last). Closing down the computer means the loss of 5V tells the arduino to
> switch all the gear off including the supply to the computer (amplifer first
> this time). I can re-start by pressing a button on the switcher. So the
> only standby power is a 10W switchmode PSU :)

Oh my.  One of my complaints I've had with this modern era of DAW
recording, and also with the fact that I'm now actually able to afford
gear better than when I was younger (hence I have more of it), is that
whereas in the old days I used to be able to just hack together
something in an Ensoniq on-board sequencer and a couple of drum
machines, and send it to 4-track tape, now I'm always griping that
making a song takes prior planning and lots of equipment setup and
software configuration.  Songwriting feels like planning a Space Shuttle
launch.  You have a big mission book, and an initialization procedure,
and there needs to be a countdown with contingencies in case of
launchpad failure.  Sometimes you forget that you were writing music,
and not trying to land on Mars.

But damn, man...you take the cake.  :)

--
		+ "The introduction of a new kind of music must