[LAU] New Computer

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed May 16 22:51:35 CEST 2018

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Will Godfrey wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2018 08:09:11 -0700 (PDT)
> Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 May 2018, Will Godfrey wrote:
>>
>>> This is the first time I've installed devuan. Release 2 is based on debian
>>> stretch, so not cutting edge. However it has rt kernel 4.9 and everything else
>>> seems pretty up-to-date. The only slight disappointment is it's slower on
>>> startup, but I may let be able to tweak that.
>>
>> Wow, you mean you shut your computer down?
>>
>> I didn't realize that was a thing.   ;)
>
> Oh har-de-har.

I guess I often have a number of windows open (most often a number of
terminals) and I don't want to go through the fun of opening, cd to and
loose the uparrow functionallity. So I tend to leave my system running
24/7

> Actually It's worse than that. The BIG SWITCH (tm) powers up an arduino
> controlled sequential switcher. The keyboards are switched on first,then the
> computer(configured to run when power appears). Once the switcher sees the 5V
> from a USB socket it steps through and switches on all the other kit (amplifier
> last). Closing down the computer means the loss of 5V tells the arduino to
> switch all the gear off including the supply to the computer (amplifer first
> this time). I can re-start by pressing a button on the switcher. So the
> only standby power is a 10W switchmode PSU :)

I have just started playing with arduinos and PIs, lots of fun. But my
external equipment is just mixer/amp right now... not much of a keyboard
player. That sounds like a good setup though.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net