[LAU] New Computer

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu May 17 06:41:40 CEST 2018

On 05/16/2018 06:16 AM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2018 21:58:20 -1000
> david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Silent/fanless probably wouldn't work here. Hawaii's average temp is a
>> bit warmer than the UK, and we have no air conditioning.
>>
>> Mine used to have a fanless power supply. It stayed reasonably cool
>> (until it died) but contributed nothing to cooling the array of hard
>> drives that are in the box.
>
> There are two very large fans in the case which were barely moving, and also a
> very slow one on the CPU heatsink (not the default AMD one). When I did that
> Rosegarden compile (all 8 CPUs pegged) the CPU fan moved just a sniff faster.

My case has 4 fans plus CPU fan. Plus 5 spinning hard drives. The fans
run a lot to keep temps reasonable in our non-airconditioned Kapolei house.

>>> The socket will take a Ryzen 7 and the PSU and heatsink are more than capable.
>>> I doubt whether I'll bother though the performance is better than my needs for
>>> the foreseeable future :)
>>
>> Yah, but I like to make large panoramas and the software I use supports
>> multicore/multithread CPUs very well. A Ryzen 7 or Threadripper would do. :)
>
> I would think so - that's where these really shine, but it's rather overkill
> for me :)

Well, maybe you need to have a full-sized orchestra in your box, with a
separate synthesizer for each individual instrument? ;)

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community