[LAU] New Computer

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed May 16 18:16:07 CEST 2018

On Tue, 15 May 2018 21:58:20 -1000
david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>Silent/fanless probably wouldn't work here. Hawaii's average temp is a
>bit warmer than the UK, and we have no air conditioning.
>
>Mine used to have a fanless power supply. It stayed reasonably cool
>(until it died) but contributed nothing to cooling the array of hard
>drives that are in the box.

There are two very large fans in the case which were barely moving, and also a
very slow one on the CPU heatsink (not the default AMD one). When I did that
Rosegarden compile (all 8 CPUs pegged) the CPU fan moved just a sniff faster.

>> The socket will take a Ryzen 7 and the PSU and heatsink are more than capable.
>> I doubt whether I'll bother though the performance is better than my needs for
>> the foreseeable future :)
>
>Yah, but I like to make large panoramas and the software I use supports
>multicore/multithread CPUs very well. A Ryzen 7 or Threadripper would do. :)

I would think so - that's where these really shine, but it's rather overkill
for me :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk