[LAU] New Computer

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed May 16 09:58:20 CEST 2018

On 05/15/2018 09:08 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2018 20:18:43 -1000
> david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Sounds good to me! Cost? Plus an option for a Ryzen 7 chip? Not that I
>> could afford such a thing with shipping from the UK. Although I am very
>> impressed with how well they packed it.
>
> Total cost (including delivery) was 850 ukp, so not cheap.

Sounds reasonable to me for what you go as a custom build.

> I had been holding
> on to savings for some time specfically for this purchase though, as the
> previous machine was 8 years old and showing signs of stress. It was also quite
> noisy. The new one is silent, so on a quiet evening I can now very faintly hear
> a whine from the backlight of one of my hardware synths :o

Silent/fanless probably wouldn't work here. Hawaii's average temp is a
bit warmer than the UK, and we have no air conditioning.

Mine used to have a fanless power supply. It stayed reasonably cool
(until it died) but contributed nothing to cooling the array of hard
drives that are in the box.

> The socket will take a Ryzen 7 and the PSU and heatsink are more than capable.
> I doubt whether I'll bother though the performance is better than my needs for
> the foreseeable future :)

Yah, but I like to make large panoramas and the software I use supports
multicore/multithread CPUs very well. A Ryzen 7 or Threadripper would do. :)

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community