[LAU] OT: SSD disk prices have dropped?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Nov 15 10:02:09 CET 2018

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:17:43 -1000, David W. Jones wrote:
>The speed difference between that $50 spinning disk and an SSD is
>phenomenal.

It is and nobody should worry about "greatly reduced access speeds",
if the SSD has got no cache. With the SSDs I mentioned, I can turn on
the computer and use the display manager's greeter to log in after
around 2 seconds. IOW I can already start a user session, while some
startup processes, such as establishing an Internet connection, aren't
done. The reported startup time is around 7 or 8 seconds, however, I can
log in after around 2 seconds. Even the slowest SSD is way faster, than
the fastest HDD. IOW the disk never will be the bottleneck again.
"Greatly reduced access speeds" without cache are a vague claim. This
is "reduced access speed" nearly nobody could notice, at least not if
you migrate from a HDD to such a SSD and neither for averaged desktop
work, nor for real-time audio work.

--
Kitty, Daisy & Lewis - The Game Is On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL6Cuo0YPlo