[LAU] OT: SSD disk prices have dropped?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Nov 15 11:02:08 CET 2018

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:17:43 -1000, David W. Jones wrote:
>>The speed difference between that $50 spinning disk and an SSD is
>>phenomenal.
>
> It is and nobody should worry about "greatly reduced access speeds",
> if the SSD has got no cache. With the SSDs I mentioned, I can turn on
> the computer and use the display manager's greeter to log in after
> around 2 seconds.

And your SSD does not have an internal cache?  Are you sure about that?

> This is "reduced access speed" nearly nobody could notice, at least
> not if you migrate from a HDD to such a SSD and neither for averaged
> desktop work, nor for real-time audio work.

Real-time audio work does not mind disks braking transfer speeds to
Flash speeds, including the pauses for wear management, internal
allocation, block erasure?

I've been caught out flat a lot fantasizing about how I'd wanted to
imagine computing to be.  I would recommend some restraint distributing
advice on that base.

--
David Kastrup