[LAU] Default Jack metering (XFCE QJackCTL)

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Wed Oct 3 23:16:05 CEST 2018

On 10/03/2018 04:58 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 4:26 PM Tim <termtech at rogers.com
> <mailto:termtech at rogers.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 10/03/2018 04:00 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      > On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM Tim <termtech at rogers.com
>     <mailto:termtech at rogers.com>
>      > <mailto:termtech at rogers.com <mailto:termtech at rogers.com>>> wrote:
>      >
>      >     That is why port aliases are SO VERY important and should
>      >        never be removed from Jack.
>      >
>      >
>      > port aliases are an ad-hoc hack.
>      >
>      > the correct solution was added to jack1, but never (AFAIK) to
>     jack2, and
>      > that's metadata, along with well-known metadata keys such as
>     "pretty-name".
>      >
>      > port aliases should go away, and be replaced by metadata.
>      >

>     But when you and I last spoke of this, I was disappointed to learn
>        that there were no plans to put default information in that
>     meta-data,
>        like the information that is provided in those alias names.
>     So as I understood, the meta-data would be blank by default.
>     You demonstrated that meta-data does work - but you had to provide
>        that information from your own list.
>
>     Am I mistaken? Would such information be available by default?
>

> In Jack1 when I left it, the server doesn't create any metadata. But
> there's no hard policy on that, and technically the ALSA driver itself
> is in the best position to get information from hardware to set up
> "pretty-name".
>
> Port aliases also have no official policy either.

Thanks Paul. Yes I suspected it might be a relatively basic step
  to have something fill in that data. That would be awesome.
Hopefully it could be done if it's ever finished in Jack-1 and 2.

For Jack-2 I believe the meta-data support is currently just stubs,
  as sletz has said. It appears in the headers but that's about it.
I think...

Tim.