[LAU] Default Jack metering (XFCE QJackCTL)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Oct 4 00:49:17 CEST 2018

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM Tim <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:

> On 10/03/2018 04:58 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 4:26 PM Tim <termtech at rogers.com
> > <mailto:termtech at rogers.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     On 10/03/2018 04:00 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> >
> > In Jack1 when I left it, the server doesn't create any metadata. But
> > there's no hard policy on that, and technically the ALSA driver itself
> > is in the best position to get information from hardware to set up
> > "pretty-name".
> >
> > Port aliases also have no official policy either.
> >

> Thanks Paul. Yes I suspected it might be a relatively basic step
>   to have something fill in that data. That would be awesome.
> Hopefully it could be done if it's ever finished in Jack-1 and 2.

the thing is, many times the user is in a better place than the software to
name the ports. that's why i trended toward a JACK startup process where
the user would supply the information that would get pushed into the port
metadata.

there's no way the driver knows that system:capture_1 is "kawaii k5000
left", but i do.

For Jack-2 I believe the meta-data support is currently just stubs,
>   as sletz has said. It appears in the headers but that's about it.
> I think...

last i heard, falktx is now maintaining both jack1 and jack2.