[LAU] GxPlugins.lv2, Wayland and X (Was: Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 140, Issue 9)

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 10 09:22:47 CEST 2018

On 10/08/2018 11:16 PM, Dale Powell wrote:

> [...]

That's not what happened to me.

> But neither Xubuntu

There doesn't appear to be an XUbuntu release anymore.

> nor Ubuntu Studio, the two releases based on XFCE,
> come with Wayland. Not sure why you would be using it on an XFCE system
> at all.... The way things currently stand not sure I'd use it on
> anything but a KDE/Plasma install.

I downloaded the 18.04.1 LTS, installed it over my existing 16.04 LTS
installation. It never prompted me about choosing between Wayland or X.

When I added XFCE4 to it after 18.04.1 was successfully installed, XFCE
either wouldn't start or it would freeze up. It still doesn't get along
with the Gnome3 privacy screen, either.

I found this post:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-wayland-and-enable-xorg-display-server-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Where it states that the default Ubuntu 18.04 BB installation comes with
Wayland enabled, and you need to disable Wayland to use X instead.

And here's a post about XFCE transitioning to Wayland:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xfce/comments/73gihm/are_there_any_plans_for_xfce_on_wayland/

Not encouraging.

--
David W. Jones