[LAU] GxPlugins.lv2, Wayland and X (Was: Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 140, Issue 9)

Dale Powell dj_kaza at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 13:16:33 CEST 2018

On 10/08/2018 11:16 PM, Dale Powell wrote:

> [...]

That's not what happened to me.

> But neither Xubuntu

There doesn't appear to be an XUbuntu release anymore.

Same place it's always been.
https://xubuntu.org/download#lts
Download Xubuntu « Xubuntu<https://xubuntu.org/download#lts>
The 18.04 release, codenamed Bionic Beaver, is a Long Term Support release and has support for 3 years. To learn more about the release, please refer to the release announcement, which has links to complete release notes as well as highlights of the improvements in the release. If you don’t know ...
xubuntu.org

> nor Ubuntu Studio, the two releases based on XFCE,
> come with Wayland. Not sure why you would be using it on an XFCE system
> at all.... The way things currently stand not sure I'd use it on
> anything but a KDE/Plasma install.

I downloaded the 18.04.1 LTS, installed it over my existing 16.04 LTS
installation. It never prompted me about choosing between Wayland or X.

When I added XFCE4 to it after 18.04.1 was successfully installed, XFCE
either wouldn't start or it would freeze up. It still doesn't get along
with the Gnome3 privacy screen, either.

I found this post:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-wayland-and-enable-xorg-display-server-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Where it states that the default Ubuntu 18.04 BB installation comes with
Wayland enabled, and you need to disable Wayland to use X instead.

I would have been more inclined to believe the official Ubuntu Blog post but if that wasn't your experience how can I argue. I've only installed the Studio and the Xubuntu versions of 18.04 which I'm pretty sure were Xorg...

And here's a post about XFCE transitioning to Wayland:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xfce/comments/73gihm/are_there_any_plans_for_xfce_on_wayland/

Not encouraging.

That's from when 17.10 was coming out with Wayland, and from what I read was a bit of a failure, hence why they're back on Xorg...

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community