[LAU] GxPlugins.lv2, Wayland and X (Was: Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 140, Issue 9)

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Oct 10 15:00:21 CEST 2018

On Wed, October 10, 2018 6:16 am, Dale Powell wrote:
> I found this post:
> https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-wayland-and-enable-xorg-display-server-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
>
> Where it states that the default Ubuntu 18.04 BB installation comes with
> Wayland enabled, and you need to disable Wayland to use X instead.

It seems Canonical made things way more difficult than it should be.
On Fedora there is a settings button where you select or enter your user
name on the gdm login screen.  There you can select Gnome (defaults to
Wayland), Gnome on Xorg, KDE Plasma (defaults to Xorg), KDE Plasma on
Wayland, and if you have other desktop environments those have menu
entries as well.  There should be no need to disable either xorg or
wayland, the system should be able to start the correct environment when
needed.  My system goes back and forth, I typically use Plasma on Xorg,
one of my kids used to use Gnome on Wayland, but some game didn't handle
graphics correctly on Wayland so switched back to Gnome on Xorg.  The
screen goes blank for about a  quarter or half second when switching back
and forth between a Wayland desktop and an Xorg desktop, but that is the
only noticeable effect.

--
Chris Caudle