[LAU] GxPlugins.lv2, Wayland and X (Was: Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 140, Issue 9)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Oct 10 17:26:25 CEST 2018

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Chris Caudle wrote:

> On Wed, October 10, 2018 6:16 am, Dale Powell wrote:
>> I found this post:
>> https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-wayland-and-enable-xorg-display-server-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
>>
>> Where it states that the default Ubuntu 18.04 BB installation comes with
>> Wayland enabled, and you need to disable Wayland to use X instead.
>
> It seems Canonical made things way more difficult than it should be.
> On Fedora there is a settings button where you select or enter your user
> name on the gdm login screen.  There you can select Gnome (defaults to
> Wayland), Gnome on Xorg, KDE Plasma (defaults to Xorg), KDE Plasma on
> Wayland, and if you have other desktop environments those have menu

That does seem to be the way kubuntu is set up... but only if SDM is used.
If you happen to be using lightdm, which seems to be default for xubuntu,
and ubuntustudio (and maybe others) the "(wayland)" doesn't show up... So
there are two Plasma entries exactly the same... the first is the wayland
entry which freezes the system. I switched to sdm... problem solved.

However, the real answer is still that the audio community is not ready
for wayland anyway.... and it seems wayland is not ready, in at least many
cases, to even log in.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net