[LAU] Synthfest Uk 2018

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Thu Oct 18 20:56:46 CEST 2018

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 21:01:37 +0200
Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

>On 10/15/2018 08:38 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
>[..]
>> There was also some discussion about running Yoshimi on a Raspberry Pi - all
>> housed in a small box with a minimal touch screen - Interesting idea.
>
>Do you know http://zynthian.org/ ? It's almost exactly that: A RPi 3B in
>a nice box, with touch-screen, MIDI and audio i/o and a few knobs.
>
>You can get it either as pre-assmbled, as DIY kit, or a schematic and
>select bits and pieces.

That one seems to have escaped my notice. It's a very interesting project.

>> People are definitely less 'scared' of Linux these days, which is good,
>> although again, there was some discussion about porting Yoshimi to the Mac.
>
>ZynAddSubFX, zyn-fusion really, runs on Mac and Windows (LV2 and VST).
>You could link interested users to your sister-project.

Yes I know. However, some people prefer Yoshimi :@)
Also, (just my personal opinion) I find a multi part, multi synth engine an
extremely poor fit for a plugin, and a rather awkward and inefficient way of
using both the host and the synth. To make matters worse, some people will use
a new instance per track, so that's the memory for at least 15 wasted parts per
track (potentially 63 for Yoshimi). There's also an (admittedly small) overhead
checking part activity.

I dimly remember someone splitting out the individual engines, but I couldn't
get on with that at all. Trying to build some of the multi-layer voices was a
nightmare!

>> The greatest, most pleasant surprise was the (fairly elderly) wife
>> of a friend who was quite interested in the actual sound banks, and
>> impressed with the reproduction quality.
>
>Oddly enough that does not surprise me :)
>Your preset collection is actually a great asset, also for zyn. The vast
>majority of users would likely be happy to only use existing banks or
>presets.

Thanks. Oh and there is also a 'companion' bank slowly being populated.
Yes, yes. I know. Pathetic bank names :)

>> www.musically.me.uk/Photos/Synthfest2018/Synthfest2018_02.jpg
>
>Very nice setup! Kudos for spreading the word and waving the linux-audio
>flag at events! I do like your "Fully FOSS - no fuss" tagline.
>
>Cheers!
>robin

Thanks again. That tagline was the idea of one of Yoshimi's Little Band of
Helpers.

Will.

P.S.

I would have responded sooner, but had an important appointment with a dining
room and 10 rolls of wall paper :(

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk