[LAU] Synthfest Uk 2018

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 09:53:04 CEST 2018

Hi Will,

On 18/10/18 20:56, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 21:01:37 +0200

[...]

> Yes I know. However, some people prefer Yoshimi :@)
> Also, (just my personal opinion) I find a multi part, multi synth engine an
> extremely poor fit for a plugin, and a rather awkward and inefficient way of
> using both the host and the synth.

I do think that the 'multi' version of Yoshimi LV2 is usable if the host
(e.g. like Arodur) supports a MIDI bus (or similar concept) and can see
the use case for it.
One of the key advantages IMHO of using it as a plug-in is that if you
are in a production scenario (i.e. non-live) you can then 'export' the
final piece/result directly as an audio file.

Indeed using the 'jack paradigm' does mitigate this (and potentially
makes the work environment more flexible and modular which is good from
various points of view). I actually wonder how feasible it would be to
have an application-independent to-file jack 'sink' able to generate an
audio file of all connected audio inputs (but including midi) -  and yes
sorry I derailed a bit there, but the topic mentions synths so... :)

Lorenzo.