[LAU] Yoshimi Command Line

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Thu Sep 13 18:13:45 CEST 2018

I have a question for any people who make use of this.

Recent work means that in the latest builds some deep access into the synth
engines is now possible with the status of all context steps being echoed to
the prompt line so you know where you are.

However this can get very long, so I'm wondering if it would be better to have
a status line followed by a normal "yoshimi>" prompt. As has already been
pointed out, this would then tend to orphan the last command actioned from the
prompt. Currently, using minimised commands from the top level:
  's p add voi env fre on'

reports:
  'Part 1 Kit 1 Add Voice 1 Frequency Enable Env Value 1.000000'

and gives a new prompt line:
  'yoshimi Part 1 on, Addvoice on, freq Envel on>'

Bear in mind that the report is what you did, and the prompt is where you are
(although there is considerable overlap).

If you now do:
  's at t 80'
the report is:
  'Part 1 Kit 1 Add Voice 1 Amp Env A dt Value 80.000000'

but the prompt line is still:
  'yoshimi Part 1 on, Addvoice 1 on, amp Envel>'

We need to tidy up the responses, and intend to shorten the report line to just
the control changed and its new value, as the steps to reach it will be in the
prompt. Or should they be? That's my question.

Another consideration is that the prompt is specific to the CLI but reports
might be directed to the GUI console!

Also, as well as blind users, we have at least one sighted user who runs
graphically but sends commands via the CLI wherever possible.

Finally, I'm sending this to both LAU and Yoshimi's own list as this is getting
into unfamiliar territory and I would like to get the widest possible user
views.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk