[LAU] Recommended USB Audio Interface

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Sep 14 06:35:34 CEST 2018

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, David Kastrup wrote:

> Mailing JS <mailing at joergsorge.de> writes:

>> what would, in your opinion, be a recommended USB Audio Interface for
>> multitrack studio recording?
>>
>> In the past, I was happy with M-Audio Delta 10/10. It was using a
>> PCI-Extention Card. Now, I'm searching for a replacement using USB.

> Why not keep what you are using now?  ALSA development has slowed to a

I would second that. I purposely bought my newest motherboard with as many
PCI slots as I could (3 as happens) so I could try my interface in each of
them. For backwards compatablility the first PCI slot supplied seems to
always use irq 16 which it shares with at least one other device (more
often more). I have a delta66 with the same ice1712 as the 1010.

If you really want to get into a USB device, it seems bigger is better.
The quality of the analog circuitry and digital conversion in 2 and 4 i/o
devices is not as good as those in 8x8 and up even in the same series
of devices. Personally, I prefer separate mic pre to the internal mic pre
cheap devices come with. (and of course the delta66 has already
forced my hand on this anyway having all line inputs)

Now, of course if your d1010 is an LT, that may make a difference as they
do not have the same ADC/DAC as the original delta 1010. (I think my d66
is less good too... though I can't hear it BTH)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net