[LAU] Live setup question with Carla

orl at ammd.net orl at ammd.net
Wed Sep 26 14:47:25 CEST 2018

Hi!

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 12:01, <linux-audio-user-request at lists.linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey hey,
>> I am helping a friend to set up a live performance system. The general
>> requirements are: one master keyboard connected to a notebook, which
>> hosts several plugins (VST through wine and Pianoteq in some form). The
>> challenge: switch the sound engine which the master keyboard is
>> controlling via MIDI (from the keyboard) or through another cheap
>> controller.

If you want to control different engines with the same controller, there
are two ways:
- you can setup the different engines so that they only receive a
certain MIDI channel, and then you just have to choose the channel on
your controller. This implies that you can change the channel on your
controller quickly and easily,
- you can use any midi filtering tool (mididings is a really fine one,
that I woul recommend, but you also can do it with qmidiroute or
whatever) and create a patch (or route or filter) that will route the
MIDI signal to the engines in a way that would be controlled by a knob
or a button on your controller. You can check an example with mididings
here:
https://github.com/PlagiatBros/PlagiatSetup/blob/master/Controls/Mididings/cmeKeyboard.py
(you can omit the zyntrebleGMandela thing and the gateCancel):
basically, the mididings patch routes the MIDI signal to a different
pair of Output/Channel for each Scene, and the SceneSwitch is controlled
by ProgramChange.

Hope this helps.

(btw Plagiat is a band, born on the ashes of Sebkha-Chott, running a
live setup using synths, loopers, samplers, mixer, FX, routing,
monitoring, lights management and VJ-ing using Debian GNU/Linux and free
softwares only, as Sebkha-Chott did before)