[LAU] Full-featured mixers

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Mon Apr 1 15:26:00 CEST 2019

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 00:07:41 -0400
Tim <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:

> I mentioned on Jack ml that QasMixer didn't seem to have any meters.
>                    [ snip ]
> Another user pointed out that ALSA may not be the answer for all
>   cards and may even get some things incorrect whereas a dedicated
>   mixer might not. And said "usually class compliant USB devices don't
>   have alsamixer volume controls".

I recently got an RME Babyface Pro and use it in its USB CC mode.  I
fired up QasMixer only to find a completely blank window, so this seems
to be correct.

I pulled the Delta 1010 out of my primary mixing/overdubbing computer
in favor of the RME, and it's a bit odd not to have the full control of
the routing - I'm still trying to route the USB and 1/4" ins to the
headphone outs simultaneously (without resorting to finding a Windows
laptop to run TotalMix on).  That's my only complaint, though.

I don't miss the rack next to my desk with the 1010s and patchbay, and
the RME sounds at least as good to my ears on inputs other than mics, and
better on mics since the preamps are better than any I've had before.

The lack of ALSA routing doesn't affect me much, as all the big projects
use Jack and all the ports are available to be routed.  It's only if I
want to play guitar along with YouTube AND want to hear it in the headphones
that I remember I don't have all the flexibility available to me.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com