[LAU] JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Apr 18 23:37:34 CEST 2019

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019, Mac wrote:

> Just saw the release notice for UbuntuStudio 19.04 and it included the backports
> of the updated Ubuntu Studio Controls.
>
> So I figured I'd give it a try.
>
> And...it seems to have no difficulty starting/stopping at will. So, obviously it
> knows something I don't (which is no surprise. ;) )

It does not use ffado at all but rather the built in ALSA firewire module
stack. This means, do not try to use ffado-mixer, bad things will happen.
Use alsamixer or the qasmixer (which is GUI based) instead.

So far, anyone I have talked to that has had problems with fw devices in
the past few years, since fw was added to ALSA, has had those problems
because they tried to use ffado bits without first removing the alsa bits.

So I am wondering how many people have firewire devices that have found
the alsa drivers for firewire, when used correctly, don't work for them.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net