[LAU] JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac macdroid53 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 15:41:11 CEST 2019

Len said:

"It does not use ffado at all but rather the built in ALSA firewire module
stack. This means, do not try to use ffado-mixer, bad things will happen.
Use alsamixer or the qasmixer (which is GUI based) instead.

So far, anyone I have talked to that has had problems with fw devices in
the past few years, since fw was added to ALSA, has had those problems
because they tried to use ffado bits without first removing the alsa bits.

So I am wondering how many people have firewire devices that have found
the alsa drivers for firewire, when used correctly, don't work for them."

So, I admit to some confusion...

Until yesterday (when I added the back port) after boot the sound
system would show a 12 channel device.
At that point I would start Qjack. It's configuration is set to start
ffado with 12 channels.

I then hit start in Qjack and then 12 in/out ports would show in Qjack
> Connect.

If I understand your comment, this would be running the alsa stack AND
the ffado stack against the

firewire device? (In this case an AF12.)

So, now if I start JACK from the UBS Controls, it is using only the ALSA stack?

And the ports that show up in, say Patchage, are ALSA ports?

So, when I'm doing "pro" audio with UBS I don't need ffado now?

And, if so, how does one, for instance, send firmware updates to a fw device?
(not that I expect to do that with an AF12...they stopped making it. :(   )

Mac