[LAU] JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Apr 19 23:47:44 CEST 2019

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019, Mac wrote:

> Len said:
>
> "It does not use ffado at all but rather the built in ALSA firewire module
> stack. This means, do not try to use ffado-mixer, bad things will happen.
> Use alsamixer or the qasmixer (which is GUI based) instead.
>
> So, I admit to some confusion...

It is for sure.

> Until yesterday (when I added the back port) after boot the sound system would sh
> ow a 12 channel device.
> At that point I would start Qjack. It's configuration is set to start ffado with
> 12 channels.

I don't know. I don't have a FW device to play with. However, I have been
told that in order to use the ffado modules, the alsa fw modules have to
be unloaded. Rui could answer thaty better than I can for qjackctl it may
be that he checks to see if the ffado devices are available and if not
assumes you mean alsa... or something else.

> If I understand your comment, this would be running the alsa stack AND the ffado
> stack against the firewire device? (In this case an AF12.)

In my understanding that should not be possible. This is one of those
cases where I wish I had one to play with...

> So, now if I start JACK from the UBS Controls, it is using only the ALSA stack?

Yes, it uses -d alsa (actually ds alsa) So it sees your device as an alsa
device.

> And the ports that show up in, say Patchage, are ALSA ports?

No they are jack ports.

> So, when I'm doing "pro" audio with UBS I don't need ffado now?

That is the idea of having alsa drivers.

> And, if so, how does one, for instance, send firmware updates to a fw device?
> (not that I expect to do that with an AF12...they stopped making it. :(   )

Does anyone still provide updates, new devices, support for firewire
devices?

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net