[LAU] Audio performance in guest VM (MS-Win) on Linux host

Dominique Michel dominique.c.michel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 18:33:53 CEST 2019

Le Sat, 10 Aug 2019 16:44:49 +0530,
Banibrata Dutta <banibrata.dutta at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I thought it to be more because of a working kext
> that is compatible with the emulated (even crappy) sound device (s.a.
> SB10 or intelHDA... although I don't think IntelHDA is that bad for
> say amateur home-studio work).

The sound you will go out of a computer system will never be better
than the sound you will get out and in from its hardware. With a real
intel HDA sound card, you can get a decent sound for an amateur or
audiophile studio if the mixer levels are set at 0dB (most audio
hardware, if not all, are optimized for that level, and this is
especially important to respect it with cheap hardware). That implies
the use of some external mixing gear to set the audio levels.

With an emulated hardware, the sound quality will depend on the quality
of the emulation. If the sampling rate is the same in the emulated OS
than in the host and the hardware (no added artefacts), it should not
really be a problem, assuming the computer is powerful enough to not
create glitches or xruns.

--
If you have a problem and you are not doing anything to fix it, you are
at the heart of the problem.