[LAU] Record / playback MIDI through MIDI <--> USB cable?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 13:17:39 CEST 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 3:39 AM Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Am 21.08.19 um 03:07 schrieb Kevin Cole:
> > What is a good way to save keyboard stuff as .mid files and vice-versa
> > (play MIDI files out to the keyboard)?
>
> Can you explain in a bit more detail what you are trying to achieve?
> What do you mean by "keyboard stuff"?
>
> Do you want to:
>
> a) Do you want to save MIDI performance data (i.e. notes, controllers
> etc.) you are playing on your keyboard as a standard MIDI file (.mid) file?
>
> b) Playback standard MIDI files on your computer by sending them to your
> keyboard?
>
> c) Create MIDI sequences / songs on your computer and play them back on
> your keyboard?
>
> d) Save keyboard programs (patches) to your computer via MIDI and
> restore them?
>
> e) Save / restore accompaniment styles and or songs from / to your
> keyboard? (I'm not sure the PSR-220 lets you do that at all.)

Is "{f) all of the above" an option? ;-)

Seriously, though, I'm figuring on starting with (a). When I get some
sort of tune, which I fantasize is original and not just something I
heard and forgot, I want to try to bang it out on a keyboard -- though
I cannot play -- save it to a computer, and, potentially, massage it
until I get it to sound the way it does in my head.  So, (a) would
rather quickly include (b). (I don't read music either, but I've been
fooling around with laboriously transcribing scores into MuseScore 3,
-- and more recently, Frescobaldi / Lilypond -- and listening to the
MIDI they generate. So, maybe, working that backwards and trying to
generate scores from the MIDI may be in the cards.)