[LAU] Record / playback MIDI through MIDI <--> USB cable?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 13:24:50 CEST 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 1:39 AM Jeanette C. <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

> Aug 21 2019, Kevin Cole has written:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm on an Arch Linux system, and now have an old Yamaha PSR-220 (TM)
> > "portable keyboard" and an iConnectivity Mio (TM) MIDI to USB cable.
> Hi Kevin,
> your MIDI cable will also show up with:
> aconnect -li
> and
> aconnect -lo
> respectively. There are graphical tools to list and connect MIDI ports
> as well. No idea what the current favourites are. qjackctl might work,
> patchage, but I'm almost sure there are smaller/even simpler programs,
> if you want them.
> The aconnect tool (and others) shows the ALSA sequencer ports. This is a system/API to connect MIDI ports,
> both hardware, as your mio cable, and software.
>
> Arch linux offers many MIDI sequencers. ALSA coimes with the very simple
> arecordmidi and aplaymidi. A nicer commandline alternative is midish,
> which I use. There is more here.
>
> On the graphical side of things there are many. Rosegarden sounds
> powerful, as does qtractor. But I don't know much about the graphics.
>
> To get a general idea of MIDI tools on Arch you can try:
> pacman -Ss midi
>
> And the same with your favourite AUR manager/installer. e.g.:
> trizen -Ss midi
>
> I hope this gives you a good starting point.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

Thanks. This info looks quite helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't have the space at the moment to keep the Yamaha
plugged in all the time. So, I'll need to carve out some time to set
it up in the way of everything again before I follow-up on your
advice.

I'm reasonably comfy with Bash and Python (among other things), and,
at some point I think I installed everything in the ArchLinux ProAudio
group (https://www.archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/pro-audio/) even though
I don't know what to do with most of it.