[LAU] Mtrack-8 oddity

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Thu Aug 22 20:04:34 CEST 2019

I've had one of these running perfectly for near 2 years now and have always
run it with a buffer size of 64 frames/48kHz. This last week I've been too busy
with 'other things' to do any composition. However, yesterday when I tried to
run it. Jack immediately went into a cascade of Xruns with a most peculiar
error report, suggestion it couldn't find the unit.

Running Yoshimi by itself under Alsa worked fine, so I was now totally
perplexed. Eventually I noticed that Yoshimi was set to 128 frames. When I set
it to 64, it was even stranger. It ran, but on attempting to play anything it
just made a horrible noise. Further tests revealed that jack also ran correctly
with 128 frames or more.

For a while I couldn't think of anything that had changed during that week - no
upgrades or installs. Then I remembered I'd had to repair a bad solder joint in
the amplifier, and as everything is mounted in a rack, had to pull quite a bit
of stuff apart to get to it. I was quite sure I'd checked everything when
re-assembling it, but just to be sure did a quick 'lsusb' in a terminal window,
and as I thought, audio, midi, and mouse/keyboard were all on a different
internal bus, and no bus had anything else on it.

Today, while playing a CD on my 'office' machine I remembered I used to have a
USB CD player that wouldn't work when plugged into the front USB3 sockets, even
though it was identified on an internal USB2 bus, so checking the music system,
I had indeed plugged it onto one of these on the back of that machine. Once
swapped into a (black) USB2 socket it once again worked fine.

I've no idea why it had given the symptoms it did though!

Will J Godfrey
Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.

More information about the Linux-audio-user mailing list