[LAU] Mtrack-8 oddity

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Aug 23 00:55:27 CEST 2019

On August 22, 2019 8:04:34 AM HST, Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> wrote:
>I've had one of these running perfectly for near 2 years now and have
>always
>run it with a buffer size of 64 frames/48kHz. This last week I've been
>too busy
>with 'other things' to do any composition. However, yesterday when I
>tried to
>run it. Jack immediately went into a cascade of Xruns with a most
>peculiar
>error report, suggestion it couldn't find the unit.
>
>Running Yoshimi by itself under Alsa worked fine, so I was now totally
>perplexed. Eventually I noticed that Yoshimi was set to 128 frames.
>When I set
>it to 64, it was even stranger. It ran, but on attempting to play
>anything it
>just made a horrible noise. Further tests revealed that jack also ran
>correctly
>with 128 frames or more.
>
>For a while I couldn't think of anything that had changed during that
>week - no
>upgrades or installs. Then I remembered I'd had to repair a bad solder
>joint in
>the amplifier, and as everything is mounted in a rack, had to pull
>quite a bit
>of stuff apart to get to it. I was quite sure I'd checked everything
>when
>re-assembling it, but just to be sure did a quick 'lsusb' in a terminal
>window,
>and as I thought, audio, midi, and mouse/keyboard were all on a
>different
>internal bus, and no bus had anything else on it.
>
>Today, while playing a CD on my 'office' machine I remembered I used to
>have a
>USB CD player that wouldn't work when plugged into the front USB3
>sockets, even
>though it was identified on an internal USB2 bus, so checking the music
>system,
>I had indeed plugged it onto one of these on the back of that machine.
>Once
>swapped into a (black) USB2 socket it once again worked fine.
>
>I've no idea why it had given the symptoms it did though!

USB ports and "standards" can be weird. I had a cheap but excellent Canon scanner that used USB2. It worked beautifully when connected to an USB2 port controlled by an actual USB2 controller. Connect to a USB2 port controlled by a USB3 controller? Nope, no go, nothing, regardless of OS.

Glad the problem got sorted out. You may now return to composition, your audience here eagerly awaits your music!

---
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.