[LAU] Delta 66 woes

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Dec 19 19:04:09 CET 2019

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, Dave Phillips wrote:

> My audio device has been an M-Audio Delta 66 + Omni I/O breakout box
> that has served me well for many years. Alas, something is now causing a
> severe problem with it. When I turn the unit on in the morning the clip
> and input lights are solid red and green and remain so for up to five or
> more minutes before they go off. Adding to that, my portable room heater
> is now causing a terrible hum through my speakers. I tried another
> heater, got the same results.
>
> So, is the problem likely the Delta card ? I have a replacement for it
> that I could swap out, but I thought I'd check with the experts first.
> Or should I get an electrician to check out the wiring in my room ?

"clip and input lights are solid red and green" These lights are on the
omni I am guessing and so likely the problem is with that box rather than
the D66 card itself. Using mudita24 (not envy24control) on the Analog
Volume tab do you see high level in? (the level for the input is in text
just under the port name (ADC1-3) and can be reset with the "Rest Peaks"
button in the lower left corner) If there is no level or -inf it shows
"(off)". If you are seeing the same high level right after turn on, try
disconnecting the omni i/o and see if the levels are now (after reset)
"off". This test should show that the problem is in the i/o box.

The most likely thig to be wrong is a capacitor. With the i/o box open
find a larger cap probably close to where the power comes in and after
warm up try spraying this with some kind of "freeze spray" to see if the
problem comes back. replace tha cap that when chilled causes the probalem
to come back. Probably replace the power supply cap just because...
(higher value is ok)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net