[LAU] "native dancer" - modular performance recorded with linux (reaper + kdenlive)

Atte atte at youmail.dk
Wed Feb 27 10:18:13 CET 2019

Hi list

Long time since I posted here. For the last couple of years I've been getting into modular, so the amount of software I use now is quite minimal. I'm still a 100% native linux user though.

I've been running reaper through wine for quite some time, but recently switched to the native linux build, and it works great. The releases seem to be in sync with the more mainstream platforms, suggesting they are at a point where they consider linux an equal platform.

My new year's resolution for 2019 was to start a youtube channel of modular performances in my humple home studio. I'm pretty new to video, and after trying a few editors, I settled on kdenlive, which seems to work ok. However, since reaper also has some video editing capabilities, I might try that out at some point.

Here's the first video from the youtube channel, aptly named "native dancer", since it was the first recording I did in linux native reaper. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t2BciEuZy8

Reaper is providing master clock to the first Beatstep Pro, which is driving the second one. Midi from the two is merged in a midi merger and send to two cv.ocds (midi to cv converters). From there the modular is doing it's thing. Audio is send from appropriate places in the patch to a soundcraft mtk22 mixer, multi-track recorded in reaper. Then after mixing in reaper, video is synced to the audio in kdenlive and edited, matching the colors (to the best of my ability), and switching camera views.

The recording is done in one take (audio + video), no cuts or overdubs.

Again: hope you enjoy!

Cheers
Atte