[LAU] The new GUI of QjackCtl renders QjackCtl unusable

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 29 12:32:04 CET 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 19:39:50 -1000, david wrote:
>My setup is very simple, so a complex graphical graph rendering is not
>a worry to me.

Hi David,

nowadays I very seldom need qjackctl. I get the most complex
connections when using Linux, if I master mix imported audio tracks.
Since I'm doing this with Ardour, there is no need to run qjackctl.
It's more pleasant to let Ardour control the connections.

Thank you everybody for the pointer to QjackCtl's menu option, this
solves restoring and controlling old sessions, without downgrading
QjackCtl.

IMO the plugin approach anyway is better than connecting
stand-alone-apps and external gear by jack or anything else. The
problem is that Linux plugins are missing features to interact with the
DAW and on iOS where those features are provided, the DAW and plugins
not always flawlessly work together (using AUM as a workaround does
solve the issue, I suspect to be user-friendly it is programmed to
workaround the bugs of the DAW and of the plugins, instead of waiting
that they fix the bugs ;).

For nowadays complex MIDI (+ Audio) configurations I migrated to an iPad
Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, this means that I don't do complex MIDI
connections with external synth anymore, since virtual synth could
replace almost all external synth. If I ever should use an external
synth, then perhaps just one at a time, maybe my Oberheim Matrix-1000
or Yoshimi from my Linux PC. Integration of virtual synth with the
host, usually Cubasis, works more pleasant than it does on Linux, if it
should fail, there is AUM, which replaced the crappy Audiobus 2 for me
completely. I'm even not thinking about upgrading to Audibus 3.
Connections done via AUM work in the same way, as when doing them via a
host such as Ardour on Linux or Cubasis on iOS, still providing perfect
control, e.g. if wanted to sync delays, LFOs etc. to BPM, something
I'm missing when using Linux for MIDI, let alone the lack of virtual
Linux synth to replace almost all external synth.

Btw. when I used the iPad 2, I couldn't completely replace the PC, but
with the iPad Pro released end of last year this changed. At the moment
there is just no software available for iOS to mix everything in a
pleasant way. Doing this requires to use Ardour on Linux for me
(because it requires real subgroups, real aux channels, sane HDMI
display usage, when connecting the iPad to the HDMI display, you get
the same as you see on the iPad's 12.9-inch display), let alone that my
USB Focusrite audio device's audio quality is just good enough for
recording, but not to hear details when doing the mix, that are audible
when using my Linux PC's RME card (so it's also a matter of not having
enough money, to get everything that is needed ;).

Regards,
Ralf

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-securityink,-cornflower,,-pussytoes}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.20.5.arch1-1