[LAU] The new GUI of QjackCtl renders QjackCtl unusable

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 06:39:50 CET 2019

On 1/28/19 5:32 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 21:52:26 -0500, Tim wrote:
>> ... Not replaced, optional.
>> See Setup, Misc, "Replace connections with graph button".
>
> Thank you,
>
> so Rui should consider to uncheck this by default.
>
> Btw. I dislike shadows for fonts, as well as for items (windows etc.), a
> starting point might be to care about your anti-aliasing hint and the
> colouration. However, the "Graph" approach sometimes might be an
> advantage, but most of the times the "Connect" style is better.
>
> Take a look at the screenshot I posted. It does show all Ardour
> connections in one item and the connections are not displayed inside
> the item, they are turned backwards, under the transparent item.
> Fortunately when using Ardour, qjackctl seldom is needed, if at all,
> for Ardour intern connections.
>
> Btw. even if I should like this "Graph" thingy, I couldn't use it on my
> machine [1], since its nearly completely unresponsive. Selecting a
> connection inside the partial shown Ardour item takes around 3 seconds.
> Scrolling is more or less impossible, it takes very long to move the
> Ardour item or before the scroll bars or mouse wheel take effect.
>
> [1]
> $ hwinfo --cpu --gfxcard | grep Model | sort -u
>    Model: 6.60.3 "Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz"
>    Model: "Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller"
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

I went to go check ... and realized that I don't use QJackCtl on any
system now. I switched to Cadence via the KXStudio repositories sometime
ago!

Ralf, thanks for the command line. Here's what mine reports:
hwinfo --cpu --gfxcard | grep Model | sort -u
   Model: 6.60.3 "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz"
   Model: "Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller"

My setup is very simple, so a complex graphical graph rendering is not a
worry to me. But I thought back to my QJackCtl days and thought: Yes,
the old list way is very clear and easy to use.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community