[LAU] systemd woes with jackd and its permissions (raspbian)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jan 31 12:57:19 CET 2019

On Thu, 2019-01-31 at 12:22 +0100, David Runge wrote:
> On 2019-01-31 10:03:56 (+0100), al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
> > Being systemd a complete nightmare (which turns your machine to a
> > windows-like system), simply stop using it and migrate to a
> > systemd-free system.
> Everyone's entitled to their opinion I guess, but how on earth does this
> help with the question at hand?
> If you're plainly here to rant about how bad systemd is (or rave about
> how great your particular distro is), maybe find another mailing list to
> do so.
> It's getting quite annoying (given your recent track record on that
> particular topic) and really doesn't provide any useful information
> regarding the original topic, especially as you fail to supply
> information on why and how a jackd-as-a-daemon-setup on Devuan could be
> considered more suitable or would even look like. Please be constructive
> and provide examples instead of bad-mouthing other people's work.
>
> e.g. "Hey look, this is how we do things on Devuan - without systemd -
> to have jackd start as a daemon. You can also use that instead of
> Raspbian."
> Doesn't hurt, does it?

Somebody reported an opinion based upon personal experiences and tried
to provide a pointer that might be helpful. It's annoying to read that
"not on that mailing list" and smartypants rants from you again and
again on several mailing lists, since you became an Arch TU and admin of
Arch proaudio. How do your rants helps either? Apart from this, is there
any Linux audio related mailing list, where this anti-systemd user would
have freedom of speech, without receiving such an email from you?

However, I recommend to stay with systemd, even while I dislike it
myself. The reason to stay with systemd is very simple, it's seemingly
the most used Linux init system, so we could expect less trouble, as
long as we don't have special needs related to the init system in
general. Most Linux software developers most likely tend to use systemd,
too and if something should fail, there are more people able to help,
than when using a less used init system. Even if not using systemd
_would_ make it easier for the OP to solve one problem, a side effect
_could_ be, that issues with other init processes _could_ become harder
to solve.